View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 10:31 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Ok,

So here is a nomination. This is a pretty long book, but you should be able to read it in a month. It is one of the Penguin Ten Essential Classics and many references in life and literature come from this book. It is a book I started reading when I was young and couldn't commit to it. I think a famous coffee chain got its name from this book:

Moby Dick by Herman Melville

This is not a book about fishing.

In the novel, published in 1851 after sixteen months of writing, Herman Melville recounts the Promethean quest of Captain Ahab, who, having lost a leg in a earlier battle with White Whale, is determined to catch the beast and destroy it. By the time readers meet Ahab, he is a vengeful, crazed, and terror-provoking figure, for Moby-Dick has come to represent for him all the evil in the world. The relentless voyage of Ahab and his crew, a finely etched group of weird and wonderful characters who seem both flesh-and-blood individuals and symbolic of the varying qualities of men, becomes a masterful drama of life at sea. The drama is made more fascinating by Melville's eloquent style--a combination of the journalistic, colloquial, and poetic--and the themes and subjects he pursues--whales and whaling; man's need for love and comradeship; and the fury of Ahab for the whale. Through realistic storytelling, symbolic allegory, and allusive and figurative language, Melville achieves in Moby-Dick a special intensity that readers will marvel at, and not soon forget.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote