View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #18
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
It's just one piece of bad manufacturing!
In many cases, people don't even see if the light is on or not.
In such cases you might as well save the battery!
The difference in battery life is only a few percent at low levels (I've seen figures like half an hour for off versus level 5, let alone level 0). There's no point optimizing for that, not given that they doubled the size of the battery in the PW versus the Touch specifically because of the extra power draw of the lights. LEDs are pretty power-efficient contraptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't know how much the touch screen uses, but hope it uses very little, and turns off when not in use.
It's an e-ink screen, so, none, any more than a piece of paper uses power to display print. It uses energy to change state (i.e. to refresh content), not to display: you can rip the screen right out of the device and it will stay displaying what it displayed last. (The capacitative touch layer uses a little power, but we're talking milliwatts.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote