View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #97
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
You asked for it. Here is the overly long explanation with quotes and translations.

Dutch Law, at this moment:
http://www.auteursrecht.nl/auteursrecht/22265/

Quote:
Op grond van artikel 16b en artikel 16c van de Auteurswet is het onder bepaalde voorwaarden toegestaan om zonder toestemming van de betrokken auteursrechthebbende uitsluitend voor eigen oefening, studie of gebruik van zijn of haar beschermde werk (foto, gedicht, muziek, film, enz.) een of enkele kopieën te maken.
It basically says that, as long it is for my own use, that I am allowed to make one or more copies of any picture, poem, piece of music, movie, and so on.

And that is exactly what I am doing. How I make that copy is not an issue.

The organisation who arranges this, is Stichting Thuiskopie:
http://www.thuiskopie.nl/nl

Quote:
Nederland heeft er voor gekozen om kopiëren voor privédoeleinden toe te staan. De Thuiskopievergoeding uit art.16c Auteurswet is bedoeld om de schade die daaruit voortvloeit te compenseren. Over voorwerpen waarop kopieën van beschermde werken kunnen worden opgeslagen wordt door de fabrikant of importeur een kleine heffing betaald, ter compensatie van de thuiskopieën die op de voorwerpen komen te staan.
Translation: "The Netherlands has chosen to allow copying for personal use. The "Thuiskopievergoeding" [compensation for personal copying], from art.16c Copyright Law is meant to cover damages that result from this. A small fee will be paid by manufacturer or importer, for all devices onto which copies of protected works can be stored. This is to compensate [the authors] for the personal copies that will be placed onto these devices.

So we (the Dutch) actually pay a fee ("heffing", a sort of taxes, but not intended to go to the gouvernment) to Stichting Thuiskopie to be allowed to do this.

This law site even states the following:

Quote:
Een kopie voor strikt eigen gebruik (een "thuiskopie") mag altijd worden gemaakt, ook als het werk van een illegale bron afkomstig is. (...) Op grond van artikel 16b en 16c Auteurswet 1912 mag men enkele exemplaren van een werk maken voor eigen oefening, studie of gebruik. Dit heet een thuiskopie. Een dergelijke kopie mag niet aan derden ter beschikking worden gesteld. Het is niet vereist dat je het origineel zelf gekocht hebt om een thuiskopie van een werk te mogen maken.
The literal translation is: "A copy for your own personal use (a "home copy") may always be always, even if the work comes from an illegal source. (...) As stated by article 16b and 16c of the Copyright Law 1912, one is entitled to make one or more copies of a work, for one's own excercise, study, or usage. This is called a home copy [Thuiskopie]. Such a copy may not be provided to third parties.

And here comes the kicker, the fat and underlined part of the above quote:
It is not required to have bought an original copy yourself to make a home copy of a work.

So even if I DIDN'T have the original book (or movie, or music, or... almost anything, except for computer programs, who fall under different laws), I would still be allowed to copy (download) it, as long as it's not distributed. However, I don't find that acceptable, and download eBooks only when there isn't an official one, and I already have a paper version.

Quote:
Indeed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_..._vs._RDR_Books Meanwhile, the likes of bankers, politicians moving revolving doors in large buildings, etc. constantly shag the public. In public.
Dude. That is an entirely different case. That is a case about someone/company who takes a non-profit Harry Potter-based encyclopedic work, and starts publishing it for profit. My nose can see that this is not always allowed in all cases, as this company is going to earn money using IP that they have not created.

I don't earn any money with this. I don't publish anything.

Rest assured, I'm not doing illegal stuff here. Not in the Netherlands anyway But as I don't know all laws in all other countries, I might not contact the publisher of this book and just do what can be done: use the eBook myself.

But again, it's off-topic and I think that I have proven sufficiently that creating this eBook for my own use is perfectly allowed; at least in the Netherlands

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-09-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote