View Single Post
Old 02-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me with my first activist effort: a 'reward the author' campaign

I think it's very important that in addition to fighting to get changes made to stuff that isn't working, we also encourage those who are doing it right. I put together a list of suggestions for ways we can reward those authors who really are doing it the right way. What do you think? Is there anything I should add to the list of suggestions? Does anyone want to participate in this? (if so, I encourage you to email me and let me know which books you are rewarding, so I can review them and also keep a tally of how many authors have been reached with the effort). Here is a link to my website, and here is what I posted:

REWARD AN AUTHOR!

This website aims to promote books from quality authors, both public domain/free and 'for sale but fair.' What do I mean by 'for sale but fair' exactly? I mean a book that is...

* Of commercial quality, well-written and free from major errors in content or in editing
* Available for sale in a DRM-free format
o which can be converted for use by the customer using standard software such as Calibre (please donate if use this software!)
o without geographical restrictions
o without restrictions on number or brand of device it can be read on
* Priced at a reasonable level such that authors can earn a fair profit and customers can buy books at a rate competitive with paper books

If you read a book that meets these criteria---it's a GOOD book by an author who gets it---I hope you will reward the author in one or more of the following ways:

* Email me so that I can review the book for inclusion on this site or other venues in which I review
o Tell me what book (title and author) you have rewarded so I can list it here)
* If the author has a tip jar on their website, go there and tip them
* If a paper copy is available, buy it to support the author, then donate it to the library
* If a paper copy is not available, buy an ebook copy as a gift for a friend (Fictionwise has a 'buy this book for a friend' option)
* Write the author a letter or email in which you let them know that you have bought their ebook and want to support them because they are getting it right
* Post a review on a blog or website (such as Mobile Read) to help the author attract new fans

Here is a sample of a letter you might send to the author:

Dear (Author Name)

I am writing today to let you know how much I enjoyed your book (book name). I enjoyed (details of what you enjoyed). I was especially happy to buy your ebook and support your work because you seem to be an author who appreciates their e-fans. Not all authors do. Some of them release their books through means where they are not available to customers in certain countries or where they are encumbered by technical restrictions ("drm") on which devices or device features a customer can use to read them. This can alienate many ebook customers and cost the author potential profit on that book and in the future.

I am part of a growing community of ebook readers who want to see publishing and reading flourish in this digital age. One of things we are trying to do is reward the authors who 'get it right' to let them know they have won a new fan and to let them know that their embracing of this new and growing reader market is both right, and profitable. So I wanted to reward you! In addition to this letter of thanks, I will be doing the following: (list items from list that you have done)

Thanks again for writing a great book and for 'getting it right' with your e-fans.

Sincerely,

(name)

What do you think?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote