View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #21
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
I understand Kovid's point of view about being paranoid about unexpected data loss.
So did I. I'd rather deal with a complaint that the interface is inconvenient for overwriting, than one that complains all their books just got wiped out!

Quote:
I was just making the point that if someone is designing/working on a replacement dialog or feature the reverse use case where newest wins is not that uncommon. The trick will be to come up with a user-friendly way of offering the user control without, as you say, an overwhelming number of choices.

If I saw a simple solution I would already be suggesting it . Maybe a user preference with a simple way of toggling it might be the answer as one tends to be working in one mode during bulk import and another in daily library maintenance.
I'm glad you made the point. I'm not sure if/when I might do some more work in that area, but I agree that it's worth keeping in mind that the reverse default is very useful even if there is some increased risk to that setting. It's not like Calibre is 100% risk free (thinking of the very useful, but risky S&R feature).
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote