View Single Post
Old 10-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Lots of people have written "new" Sherlock Holmes stories, for example, many of which are pretty good.
That's one case where it does seem to work OK - with an archetypal character that has taken on a life of its own in popular culture so as to completely overshadow the original author's style. Plenty of enjoyable Holmes and Dracula pastiches out there.

Edited to add: Although I understand there are Holmes purists who get quite upset about some of the pastiches. It may depend on one's attachment to/familiarity with the originals. I enjoy them, but I'm not the type that spends sleepless nights worrying about the exact name of Watson's first wife or Doyle's minor date discrepancies.

Last edited by wayrad; 10-13-2009 at 09:45 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote