View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 12:41 AM   #197
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Only the cable and the plug that goes into the phone are different. The charger is the very same one I got with my iPhone 3G. So he could have just used a USB wall wart with his iPhone 5 just fine. I've used a Sony USB charger and it was just fine. I've even charged an iPhone 3G via the computer's USB.

I think that kid just had no clue what it was he needed. He probably tried to buy a USB wall wart that comes with an iPhone 5 cable when all he needed was the wall wart even if it came with the previous cable. So he's telling Apple what he needs and they are telling him they don't have it when he could have gone to an Apple store and gotten the wall wart replaced no bother.
I can't say what the knowledge problem really was. I do know that he works in IT so I thought it must be some serious problem. His mom an Apple geek wasn't much help in explaining the problem. I finally caught her and out of curiosity asked about it
That said, it only made sense if the phone connector port itself was different. Then I would understand.

Otherwise I agree that there are a lot of useful connectors, power supplies, chargers, cables out there that you can mix and use instead of the device specified ones. I have a cardboard box full of them. --- Just in case.

I also keep all my old chargers from phones and everything else in case a charger goes out. Just match the voltage, the load of the charger and the device, cut the cable, hook up the connector for the phone, and you are sitting pretty.

I still remember a bit from when I was a youngster and could handle a wire stripper, a desoldering iron, and even climb a pole in the rain or snow. Brings on a song: "Oh those days my friend, ..."
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote