View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #60
hippy dave
Zealot
hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.hippy dave can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 4
kindleterm working on k4 with remote keyboard

well i've had some luck getting this to do something useful on my k4

i was playing with hawhill's simplified version, from this post. to get it to do anything useful, you need telnetd running, so you should have usbnetworking installed, and then you can either activate usb networking mode, or just start telnetd manually (someone posted the command to do that, somewhere, i don't have it handy tho).

with telnetd running, when you start hawhill's kindlet, you should see the kindle successfully telnetting to itself. there's something temperamental here tho, i don't know why, but sometimes nothing displays. if you press keyboard+back, to refresh the display, you might see more, but perhaps just a couple of scattered characters. if so, press back to exit, then reload the kindlet... keep trying until it just pops up nicely displaying the familiar kindle login.
(if anyone has any idea about this glitch & how to fix it, please let me know!)

of course, having this nice terminal running on your k4 screen is no use if you can't type anything. so, after some fiddling with the config scripts, i managed to compile hawhill's version myself, and then i decided to add the remote keyboard feature from vdp's original kindlet back in. that was simpler than i expected, and as far as i can tell it's all working now!

so i'm attaching my modified kindlet that you can try on your k4 (or other kindle i guess, if you want the remote keyboard). it's still temperamental as described above, so keep trying until it works. i changed the name so i could tell the versions apart while i was testing, so it's KindleTermHD because of the stunning 1080p resolution i managed to squeeze out of the eink display, or because the initials of my username are h.d., i forget which.

i found i needed to tell the kindle to open the port to listen for the remote keyboard:
Code:
iptables -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 3333 -j ACCEPT
then as described in the first post, you need a remote_keyboard.properties file in the same place as the kindlet on your computer, containing the kindle's ip and port, eg:
Code:
host 192.168.2.2
port 3333
and you can run the remote keyboard window on your computer with:
Code:
java -cp KindleTermHD.azw2 kindle.RemoteKeyboard
i think that's all the details, but i'm sure it'll become obvious if i've forgotten to mention anything.
so i'm attaching my kindlet, and in case anyone wants the source, i've just zipped up the changes, so i don't have to go back and figure out all the config file changes i made to compile on my computer. it's just a modified TermKindlet.java, and three additional files from vdp's version, that can all be put in the src/kindle directory of hawhill's source version.

Last edited by HarryT; 10-08-2013 at 11:51 AM.
hippy dave is offline   Reply With Quote