Thread: Travel Writers
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
I second (third and fourth) Paul Theroux's travel books, which in my opinion are excellent.

Some other travel books I have enjoyed a lot are:

City of Djinns: A Year in Delhi - William Dalrymple

River Town: Two Years on the Yangtze, Oracle Bones: A Journey Through Time in China and Country Driving: A Chinese Road Trip - all by Peter Hessler

Tim Cahill, intrepid traveller and journalist, is well worth reading.

Colin Thubron is another travel writer well worth looking into.

Instant City: Life and Death in Karachi - Steve Inskeep

Naked in Dangerous Places: The Chronicles of a Hungry, Scared, Lost, Homesick, but Otherwise Perfectly Happy Traveler - Cash Peters

Outposts: Journeys to the Surviving Relics of the British Empire - Simon Winchester

The Art of Travel - Alain De Botton

An Area of Darkness - V. S. Naipaul

Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey into Bhutan - Jamie Zeppa

Black Lamb and Grey Falcon - Rebecca West

Carnivorous Nights: On the Trail of the Tasmanian Tiger - Margaret Mittelbach & Michael Crewdson

Mission Mongolia: Two Men, One Van, No Turning Back - David Treanor

This is all modern stuff - should you want some tips on classic travel books too I'll be all too happy to oblige.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote