View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Now enter the metadata plugboard: I never understand what that could add when the above templates already did the trick. Now I understand that it offers an additional way of manipulating the resulting file names.

Remains the order question: will the metadata plugboard templates be handled first and then the templates from "saving books to disk"/"sending books to devices" or is it the other way arround?
It's not another way of manipulating the filenames. Metadata plugboards don't affect the file-system file name in any way, shape, or form. Plugboards make changes to the internal metadata of the ebooks. Most popularly, the title (but it works for others as well).

Plugboards (in my example) accomplish the same thing as: manually changing the Title (in calibre's metadata) to include series info prior to sending the book to a device; and then changing the title back to what it was so calibre's metadata stays consistent. So you don't have to do this anymore:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChiper
I tend to temporary strip the series prefix info from the title when updating/adding metadata, but that is tedious work.
Quote:
And I do get the impression, that is not (yet) possible, right?
No, it's certainly possible. What you're describing is exactly what plugboards do. They change the internal title (or other metadata) based on a template. But ONLY when sending to a device or saving to disk. They don't affect calibre's metadata. Just try the example I gave you. When you see the results on your device... you'll understand. And trying it won't jeopardize your current calibre metadata at all.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-14-2012 at 08:58 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote