View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #49
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
The only reason I ever read it .

In my case the use of a psuedonym is a no-brainer. I have a full time job, working from home a lot, and when I do finally publish, I don't want to do so under my real name for fear of raising questions in the minds of those I work for (even though they do get their fair pound of flesh out of me).
I know the feeling. I work like a dog, and get the job done. I even have a piece of the company. Still there is an attitude about "your real job" and your company focus versus some "selfish sideline." Never you mind about the time others spend drinking, golfing, hunting, fishing, on game weekends, etc. Also I must confess I try to come across as a good example.

It is easier to keep that "selfish sideline" low key and below the horizon so I use a pseudonym. My wife is an editor and a serious writer and so it is easy to set things up. As for a cover, since I work with sharp people, and they will sometimes notice I am doing something a little different (NOT in the office), I publish an occasional article in some technical magazines and if it appears that someone is too curious, or might have seen something say in a motel room at a job site or somewhere else, I always have 1 or 2 partially completed articles ready to show and bore the person with. If as has happened they express an interest in perhaps collaborating, I take the subject down some oddball path, and they then seem to steer clear and not ask so many questions, because they are "busy."
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote