View Single Post
Old 04-12-2010, 03:15 PM   #214
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readerati View Post
But...when it comes to page turns -aargh! I don't want to get gruel on my lovely PP!! Nor do I want to cease shovelling, drinking, or lolling about. What to do? This brings me to my wish list item.

How about a little page advance remote control? Nothing complicated, just page forward and back. Wireless (Bluetooth perhaps) would be good. I could see this being useful for people with disabilities too (although I'm just lazy).
Realistically, the closest approximation might be a timed automatic page turning and/or a automatic scrolling page.

The scrolling page feature, at least, is one I've seen over the years elsewhere. An ebook reader I used to have for an old Sony CLIE had this feature. You simply establish the speed of the scrolling in the settings, press a "start scroll" button and sit back. Of course it gets VERY annoying if you get distracted and look away and it keeps on scrolling, but realistically its the only way to get "hands free" reading (there WAS a pause feature, of course, but that requires those pesky hands to be used). One thing to note is that if something like this is EVER implemented for a device like the Astak, they'd have to make it clear how much it would affect power usage. My guess is that it would be a very LARGE effect, and use twenty times as much power (while the scrolling is going on), since it would be an almost constant screen refresh instead of one every minute or two.

The same kind of timed situation with entire page turns instead of scrolling would probably use a LOT less power on something like an e-Ink screen, then again, the margin of error would be a lot bigger (you can "catch up" reading on a scrolling page if you fall a bit behind but can't do that with auto-page turns).
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote