View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 09:12 PM   #13
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
What I got out of the videos:

~200 ppi monocrome (I have also heard 205 ppi)
~120 ppi full color

Low cost, i.e. $200 for an entire device not the screen. However, they are interested in high volumes.

Looking into a way to get the screens to those who want to retrofit their existing laptops.

Initial production run, this fall, will use existing electronics and so won't save much power. Lower power next year. The last video cut off before the actual power savings this year was made clear. Presumably, the monochrome mode will save power due to no backlight.

I do not believe that is what she said or will be the case. Pixel Qi makes the panel then the mfg's will need a firmware mod to take advantage of the power modes. From what she explained it is really that simple. She even mentioned the only goal they were unable to achieve was that 3rd one where the power control was independent of the device. Hence the need for a firmware mod will be required. This should be very trivial for the mfg's.

Where the industry might have a problem is adoption due to existing purchase contracts between panel makers and device brands/mfg's. I am willing to bet that there is not a laptop maker/brand out there which would not like to increase their "potential" run time using existing batteries from 4-6hrs to 10-12hrs with a fully usable outdoor mode simply by using a different display which will cost at worst the same but likely less than the current display panels being used.

One potential motivation for change now, is that the same panel mfg's like say, Samsung, can in-place switch to 3Qi production at what seems to be, no added cost to them. This could induce the panel makers to rework deals with the laptop brands in order to help boost what have to be sagging sales right now and keep product at current levels or, hopefully increase them.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote