View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 05:32 AM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Most people who create e-books for the Patricia Clark Memorial Library will still see their work hidden and displaced by the onslaught of a single person.
No ones efforts are hidden and displaced. Their efforts are in the library exactly where the uploader intended.

Quote:
That doesn't seem fair to me. No uploader should be rendered invisible to casual readers of the library feed.
What doesn't seem fair, the fact their books end up in the library as expected? No one is rendered invisible.

Quote:
I believe that MR should adopt a solution which is fairer to the other people who create and upload books. Imagine taking weeks to perfect an e-book and uploading it proudly, only to have it drowned utterly in a rush of hasty uploads so that fewer MR readers will ever see it at all, let alone download and enjoy it.
What are you talking about, there is no problem in need of a solution. Folks formatting books for the library are not seeking glory at the front of the feed. They do the work to share with the community and build up the library.

I can't understand the mindset that is upset because, someone who has the time, is taking it upon themselves to convert and upload many books. Their ability to contribute to the community is an asset to this community not some scourge that needs to be sanctioned or ridiculed.

Quote:
The same thoughtlessness that fuels hasty conversions can inform an uploader's treatment of other uploaders which is impolite at best and, at worst, a way to increase the odds their work will be ignored.
Hasty conversions???? thoughtlessness???? impolite???? The only thoughtless, impolite member I see is not the individual sacrificing their time and uploading books for all to share.

As for hasty conversions... I assume you are referring to the contributor that has uploaded the most books to the library. His conversions are not hasty. I recall the hundreds of questions he asked in these forums while putting in the hard work to learn how to convert / create books with reasonable quality.

I just reviewed half a dozen of the books at random. They all have a TOC, are well formatted, and vary in length. Exactly what is there to complain about?

Quote:
That's why I think there should be a limit as to how many e-books a person can upload per day.
Asking for a way to restrict books you see in the feed is reasonable but restricting how many well formatted books a person can upload is ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
IMHO, one or two book uploads (in any number of formats) per user per week should be sufficient, because quality uploaders rarely upload more than that.
Since the most prolific up-loader is a quality up-loader I fail to see your reasoning.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote