Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 AM   #685
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleloh View Post
Hi ixtab,
thank you for the dictionary patch. It works fine. I have a question regarding the dictionaries in use. I`m using a Wikipedia mobi book as german dictionary. The problem is that this Wikipedia mobi book is only available within german books. When I read an english book and want to use the Wikipedia mobi book I have to go the manual way to open the book and so on.
Is there a way to introduce into this patch also dictionaries from other languages?
I realize that I keep answering "no" quite often recently, but "no"

This would go against all the dictionaries logic, namely that only relevant dictionaries (having the same language as the book, and actually containing the word that is being looked up) are chosen for display. In fact, I'm largely relying on the logic that Amazon has implemented anyway for choosing dictionaries (with the difference that the default FW will only display the *first* relevant entry, while the patch allows to switch between *all* relevant entries).

Think about it: it does not generally(*) make sense to look up german words in an english, french, or polish dictionary - even if the exact same word is found, you would get useless results in almost all of the cases (e.g. "Handy" <=> "handy"). If you really require that, a simple workaround is to create a copy of the Wikipedia dictionary with changed metadata, so that it will also show up as an english dictionary. Try this at your own risk, of course.

(*) There might be very very specific exceptions to this rule, for instance if a book contains passages in another language - but that is too specific a use case to be easily "targetable" in software.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote