View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
How long do you expect the charge to take if the iLiad is not turned on? And is there any added risk to leaving it charging overnight (possibly overcharging) with this mod?
Hi! Well, I haven't done a charging test with the iLiad off yet, but I'll give it a shot. Unfortunately, I just charged up my iLiad, so it'll be a day or so before it's drained enough for me to do the test.

I have no idea whether the battery can or does charge faster with the iLiad off... I can't measure current draw with the iLiad off, so there's no way to know.

As for overcharging, I'm as sure as I can be that it's not a problem. The charging process is hardware-controlled and seems to be voltage-limited. I have measured the battery voltage several times during charging/discharging, and it always charges to between 4.10-4.15V. (Max for Li-ion is 4.20.) It also slows down when the battery is almost full, and stops when the battery is totally full.

Charge estimation is also hardware-controlled, but it is NOT voltage-based. This is why the iLiad's software can't deal with larger batteries. There's a way around it, but it's more clumsy and involves changing the battery kernel module.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote