View Single Post
Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Ten reasons I am NOT IMPRESSED by the new $200 NEXUS7

Hmm as the 7 inch tablet space gets more competitive I seems we as potential buyers
will benefit from more options.
Right now the hot new thing is the google Nexus 7
already being hailed as the defacto "kindle fire killer"

People's obsession with everything new& recent aside,
I humbly offer some analysis based upon pure technical comparison and reviews and I must conclude that based on my personal experience & observation
Moving over to the $200 nexus 7 would represent an Excellent "side grade" but not a signifigant UPGRADE from my kindle fire.

This is comparing the N7 to a NON rooted kindle fire

1)
the N7 has a more powerful processor( tegra)

OK great, but as a casual gamer I am already running "tegra recommended" games Like Shadowgun with no Lags
I dont see any games in release that look as good or better than shadowgun for android
so it seems I am already running the current standard as far as 3D graphics for android..without a tegra class processor .

2) Jelly bean?? Looks nice but why exactly do I need it on my device?

"well Anabran, you can run the latest jelly bean apps and access the Massive Google play eco system ..so there!!"

Hmm I have already decided NEVER to ROOT thus foregoing Direct device access to google play.
also I have over 50 Side loaded android apps& games (2.3 or lower)
so I am not personally suffering from lack of non amazon content so this is a non issue for me at least.
additionally I just learned from a reviewer on "andronica.com" that the JB home screen will not let you flip the home screen itself to landscape mode without a Root/hack..portrait only

3) Internet??
KF -stuck with Wifi or tethering to a 3G/4G device of some sort
N7( $200)=Oops still stuck with Wifi or tethering to a 3G/4G device of some sort

4) HDMI??
KF=nope
N7( $200-250)=nope

5)
SD card slot?
KF=nope
N7( $200)=nope ( I can spend beyond the$200 price space and get more drive space on a N7 model making it a true upgrade with a price to match but a 100+plus gig Sd card in a slot would be cheaperIthink)

6)
Screen res?
yes the N7 has the edge but on a 7 inch device those extra pixels dont warrant spending another $200 USD to get them ,not in this economy)

7)Default interface?

N7= is nice (its android jellybean after all)
KF= is big ugly book shelf :-(

possible solutions: spend another $200 USD on an N7
ROOT My KF and install JB ,ICS ,CMOD7 etc.

or ...install and run the FREE Go launcher EX+wallchanger app and make my KF look just like any android device and even use a "jelly bean theme" if desired.
all while keeping my full factory functionality, warranty, and seamless Amazon Eco system access

8) Front camera?
N7-yes!!
KF-nope
Number of times I have personally video chatted since the advent of the technology=1
Future plans to video chat with a mobile deviceheld in front of my face? = NONE (YMMV).

9)Audio?
KF =craptastic speakers on top basicaly useless unless you happen to be sealed in a sound proof room the size of a coffin

N7 =*possibly* even crappier thin "speaker slots" on the bottom rear of the device.
solution ..obvious use head/earphone for both devices..

10) Third party accessories??( custom Covers cases,Docks etc)

Well clearly KF has had over seven months for vendors to get on board
I am sure they will read all the N7 the hype and start producing similar N7 accessories.
but again why do I need to spend another $200 USD and then wait for that??.

Last edited by Anabran; 07-24-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote