View Single Post
Old 04-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfaborac View Post
Thanks RL, much appreciated!

Anyone have an answer to question 1? I'm ready to go here, but I'd like to know first...
In general (I have HTC phones & tablets, so YMMV) when you root, you are doing two things. First you have to achieve S-off (security off), in other words you have to "unlock" the device (the carriers are selling you a device "locked" so that you can't use another carrier. This is what they mean when you buy an "unlocked" phone). Secondly, you have to install Superuser to that you can have full read/write access to the operating system. Most "one-click" root program do both, I think.

Once S-off and rooted, if you install OTA upgrades from your carrier, most likely you will loose root. You want to ignore the carriers OTA updates and try to get "rooted" updates (try XDA developers for more info).
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote