View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 PM   #1
Hendrixxxxxxxx
Connoisseur
Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.Hendrixxxxxxxx knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: Kindle DX, Paperwhite, Paperwhite II, and Voyage
Totally awesome!

Thanks to all the very smart people on these boards, I now have a Paperwhite which is totally awesome.

1) It doesn't have Special offers. Actually, this one is thanks to Amazon customer service who removed special offers for me manually, at no charge, when I was unable to do it online as I didn't have a US billing address.

2) It has the cover of the current book that I'm reading as a screen saver (thanks to NiLuJe's hack). Part of the experience of reading a book is seeing the cover every time you pick it up. Although I love the kindle, I have felt slightly...detached...from the books I was reading on it, seeing the cover only once at the start of the book. Now, I see it every time I pick it up. I have also installed the same screen saver hack on my DX.

3) It has font sizes that scale in small steps (thanks to JBPatch), rather than jump from "too small" to "too big" with nothing in between. I find I tend to use 13 mostly, and occasionally 16 and 19, depending on how tired I am. Unfortunately, this doesn't work with azw3's (for some reason that I can't recall, you're limited to the default font sizes), but that's OK - I'll just continue converting everything to mobi.

4) It has the series and series number in the author field (thanks to Calibre plugboards), thus:
J K Rowling - Book 07 of Harry Potter
I don't tend to keep much on my Kindle, moving finished books off it and putting new ones - for example, the next book in a series - on it at regular intervals. Hence, I didn't want Series-Number-Title (e.g. Harry Potter - 07 - Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) as a naming convention, but I did want to know which series, if any, a book was from and what number in the series it was. I noticed quite a bit of room in the author field on the Paperwhite, so configured plugboard to put the information there. I have also done something similar, but in the title field, on my DX.

For anyone who wants to duplicate it (in the author field), here is the syntax:

{authors}{series_index:0>2s| - Book | of }{series}

I'm working on getting the series field in brackets, but having trouble with the syntax (mainly because I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'll get there).

One thing I do miss is having the book progress bar at the bottom of the screen, as on my DX, but apart from that, my Kindle is now totally awesome.

So, to all of you who have helped, either explicitly, or unknowingly, by writing hacks, or posting advice or solutions, or even by asking dumb questions (so I didn't have to ), thank you.

Hendrix
Hendrixxxxxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote