Thread: FIRE vs TABLET
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #84
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
Blossom asked:
Quote:
So would you say Coby is a good brand for a tablet?
For what you said, reading, I don't see much problem with it IF you're cool with the 800x400 screen resolution. Mine was a MID7024, and I preferred reading on the e-Ink screen of my now wrapped Kobo (to be my gym reader). I didn't realize what a different experience e-reading would be on a 1024x resolution screen. Coby has 7, 8, and 10-inch options, and Aldiko comes on it. As for my internal memory failure, it's apparently an issue with the chipset they had in my particularly run of 7024s and, I think, the first run of 7022s and possibly the 8024s, so there is a possibility you might wind up with an early run chip rather than the new ones they switched to.

I used an android tablet forum to get the Android Market app for sideloading. It did YouTube pretty good, too, as far as I could tell. I didn't have Netflix or Hulu capability and never got around to hacking it to do so, so I can rate it on that. It IS heavy, however, but not more so than a hardback, and as a 7inch, it fits nicely in the hand. I also didn't find the resistive touchscreen all that bad, but I hadn't really experienced capacitative touch much, beyond arguing with my fiance's iPhone before he sold it. Now that I've started using the Galaxy at work, I can see why some people who learn on the C can't go back to the R.

Since this is a Fire vs. A1 thread, I don't want to be totally off topic! But Blossom asked. Coby tablets are pretty hackable and you'll find plenty of ROMs out there to flash it and turn them into whatever you want. I didn't flash/root it, and if you're just reading and maybe doing a little web, you don't need to. If you're shy to go with the cheaper brand, Fire will probably be locked down, but someone out there is going to hack it, so you could get the bargain price, wait a few weeks, and then forgo the warranty. You still won't have expandable memory with an SD, but you could probably still use Amazon Cloud storage?? But if you don't want to forgo the warranty, want stuff to be ready to roll out of the box (Netflix, Market, etc.), then maybe coughing up the extra dollars for A1 is worth it. If Lenovo stops being coy, or whatever is going on.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote