View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 09:04 PM   #20
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
After all this I still can't make up my mind. I'm on the waiting list for the first one so will have to give it a try, but given that I like my stories to have a beginning, middle and end, it looks as though they may not be for me.
Judging by what you said about having a proper ending and closure, I would say A Game of Thrones is not for you. You can tell when you finish it that it's the first of a series.

If you want to try a Fantasy novel that's the first in a series, but still has a somewhat contained ending, try Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson. The ending is not a cliffhanger or anything; it can be read by itself, but at the same time leaves the door open for more. And if you like it, you can continue with the rest (which are also good). Another example is Magician by Raymond E. Feist.

Alternatively, you can just read some stand-alone Fantasy novels, and do away with the 'closure risk'. There are quite a few good ones - sticking with Sanderson, his debut Elantris is a good read, as is his Warbreaker. I haven't read any Guy Kavriel Kay, myself, but he is very highly regarded; Tigana is supposed to be his best. Neil Gaiman also has a few.

Last edited by afa; 08-26-2011 at 09:10 PM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote