View Single Post
Old 11-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
As for the silly notion that "better" devices with be multifaceted, including cell phone use -- who cares? As many folks have stated in this forum, I am getting an eReader device to read books. Period.
Again, that's just a too each, their own thing. I love my Kindle, but I can pretty much guarantee I'll move away from owning a dedicated reader down the road when there are nice tablet devices that are still comfy to read in bed like an e-reader, but also allow me to easily mark up academic articles and books, check my e-mail, surf the net, watch shows on Hulu etc.

But for avid readers who spend most of their free time reading, a dedicated reader makes more sense.

So again, when it comes to buying a gift, it's just a matter of the person in question. If they're an avid reader and already expressed some interest in an e-reader, then it's a great gift.

If they're a person that just loves tech gadgets, but don't necessarily read all that vigorously, then it's probably a silly purchase but some tablet device in a year or two would be an ideal gift for them. Especially if they need the functions for their work etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narbeauchamp View Post
But would anyone actually buy a dedicated reader device for someone who isn't an avid reader who hasn't already expressed an interest in such a device ?
I think these type of gift advice articles are tailored to those shopping for people that are hard to buy for. The dad that has everything and will never ask for anything etc. i.e. the type of person people are more likely to by one of the year's "hot" items for, just to get the damn gift buying out of the way.

I find these articles/gift guides stupid. I just end up getting such people gift cards and they can buy whatever the hell they want! I don't have the time or interest to put thought into buying gifts. Either tell me what you want, or you get a gift card to somewhere like Amazon or Target where you can buy most anything you want.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 11-29-2009 at 09:01 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote