View Single Post
Old 06-19-2013, 01:53 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribou007 View Post
I just bought the Kobo Glo and it's plugged into my computer now, charging.

I haven't done anything, including installing Kobo Desktop. I am concerned doing that may introduce undesirable features to the Glo.
My computer sees the Glo as a mass storage device right now. Is adding ePubs are simple as putting them in the root directory? Will I then be able to read them without any prompts to connect to Kobo Desktop, Register, Update, etc?
It seems like many people choose to update to the latest firmware because of improvements.
The first thing you need to do is setup the device. This can be done via WiFi or the desktop app and will include installing the latest firmware. Personally, I use the desktop app the connection is better for the firmware download. The registration is needed, but it can be faked. A search of the forum will find instructions.

I recommend letting the firmware upgrade as I think the current firmware is better than the factory firmware. Others will disagree but mainly on which is the best. I'm pretty sure no-one thinks the factory firmware is best. I think 2.1.5 and 2.4.0 are the most popular for those not upgrading.

Once the registration is done, you can sideload books simply by copying them to the device. If they have Adobe DRM, you need to use ADE for this. I would recommend putting them in a directory on the device rather than the root. But, do not put them in the .kobo directory. The firmware does not check this for sideloaded books.
Quote:

Are there any tweaks I might want to consider? Are they stable?

Are there other websites that I can use as resources? I am particularly interested in hacking- not to add features I don't need, but to avoid undesirable features.
There are tweaks in the developer forum. I do not use any so will not give an opinion. Read the threads to see. And this is the best place I know of for hacking information.
Quote:
I'd like to start tomorrow, so if someone could provide a brief guide to the world I'm about to enter into, I'd very much appreciate it.
Personally, set it up, start using it and decide what you like or don't. Then, do a factory reset and start again if you want to do things differently.

Oh, and this should have gone in the main part of the Kobo forum. It isn't a developer question.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote