View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 10:39 AM   #68
bartveld
Evangelist
bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bartveld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Galaxy S8, Galaxy Tab A 10.1, ReMarkable
Well here it goes:
Nice size. The back is no longer the rubbery stuff, but hard plastic. Feels grippy enough, though.
The screen is flush and that's really wonderful. No more crumbs in the corners. No more fidgeting when trying to select something close to the bezel. With light turned off and at 100% the Aura's screen is a bit more yellow than the Glo's. It doesn't show on the pictures I attached, though.
With light at 100% there is a very pronounced white line at the top of the screen of the Aura (even the picture shows it). The Glo has it too, but much less pronounced (I'd never noticed it). Also, on the left and right side there is a greyish area on the Aura (about 3 mm thick), which the Glo doesn't have. The bottomside of the Glo has a grey line with 2 "bulbs"; on the Aura it's more even without the bulbs.
I like the power button sticking out just a bit above the bezel. Easier to handle than the Glo, which has small ribs which have completely been scratched off by my nail. On the other hand, the light button is lower than the bezel, which makes it harder to push.
As for glare: the photo show that the screen of the Aura has another way of reflecting the light. However, I'd say the glare is more or less equal.

Now I haven't put on my whole book collection, haven't attached it to Calibre yet, haven't put any of my own fonts on it, so I don't know how all that will pan out. There's the huge header and footer, but we know we have our means to cope with that (which work on the new FW, I hope). Pageturns are snappy and capacitive is a godsend. Many the times I tried to hit a superscript number to get to an endnote on the Glo, eventually giving up on it. That's much easier on the Aura's screen. Same goes for selection of text. I find it is rather slow to follow your finger, but that's is an eInk thing, I think. It's certainly better than hit and miss.
Another pleasant surprise is the Aura's behaviour when reaching out for an endnote. The Glo would take you to the end of the book. The Aura gives you a pop-up with the contents of the note. Very satisfying.

First impressions are good. Now I'll start fiddling around with it.

Edit: Oops, forgot a very important thing. Yes, you can zoom pictures! Especially nice with maps.

Last edited by bartveld; 09-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
bartveld is offline   Reply With Quote