View Single Post
Old 05-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I guess I'm what you're looking for. I'm a woman, and I read *some* sci-fi but not that much. I am looking for interesting characters, interesting story, and I am not all that interested in the science (I guess they call this "soft sci fi") and I don't like a lot of battle scenes and I'm turned off by long series.

You might start with what I call "sort of sci fi" which are books that are set in the future but don't really deal with science at all. I'm thinking of The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, and Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Both of those are great books (and written by very esteemed "literary" authors, not sci-fi authors).

I also happen to love YA sci-fi and that can be a good intro, too. The Giver by Lois Lowry, House of the Scorpion by Nancy Farmer (which is about a boy who is a clone of his wealthy patron). A character who is in some strange sci-fi premise, and the book explores his feelings about it. That is appealing to me.

And then, of course, there is the Hunger Games, which has millions of readers, a lot of them female, young and not so young!

I will think of others, too!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote