View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 PM   #12
andyafro
Connoisseur
andyafro doesn't litterandyafro doesn't litter

Device: sony reader prs-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
It was a haphazard assortment of PDFs, all apparently from scanned and OCR'd books. They ranged from unreadable hack-jobs to quite carefully constructed documents.
The Hack Jobs are the first uploads posted then someone will come along and go through the document and spend a few hours restoring it to its original glory.

This is alot of hard work (hours, sometimes days) and very few pirates will take the time to do it, i feel thats to a authors advantage since once you have the book in your possession and then realise its a hack job that needs alot of work and you (same as most)are not willing to take the time to edit it, you still want the book so end up buying it anyway(once you have seen a book you want it no matter what)

Plus if you happen to pick up one book by an author through the darknet that you enjoyed but cant find the others by author or in the series you will go out and buy them as ebook or dead tree format.(this actually boast an authors sales)

You Have your hack jobs (hours to convert) and PDF's (Hours to convert and remove page numebers and filename inprints) and now the darknet has been flooded with these Split HTML'S that to your avarage person has no idea how to convert them and even then will take hours anyway to convert because of the amount of imprints it has in it.

So other then your dedicated ebook convertor, most will go out and buy the book if they really want it because once you have seen a book you want it one way or the other and will end up purchasing it because now its in your mental list of books you want to read.

I have had an ebook reader for 2 years now but still buy on avarage 2 dead tree books a week that i cannot buy in ebook format because i have seen it and i want to read that book now.

if you wanna know why the darknet is flooded with ebooks, its because publishers are not releasing the books we want for are readers, so what do you expect, scanning software is so simple now a monkey could do it (why i do not understand why most are such terrible scans)

You goto any main fiction book site now and if you ask for books you must learn to scan or edit and post in return and too be honest some of the edits are much better then what sony store are selling.

Publishers should make all new books availible now or they are going to lose out, because as soon as anyone gets a reader now and cant find what they want from crappy sony store they go straight to darknet to find what they want, and you should check some of these edits now, Book Designer is being used to its full potential at mo, all books that are being edited are then posted in multi-format (check some of the files not only are they perfect but they come in 10 different file formats for nearly every different reader posted in one file including cover and synopsis)this is a reaction to publishers dragging there feet, they are scared to release ebooks because they worry they will end up on darknet but thats the reason why they do end up on darknet because they are not availible.

so maybe authors should have a rethink, because no matter how many restrictions (DRM, Split Publisher House HTML's, Password Protected PDF'S) you put on them someone out there will break them and post them.

You Can say what you want about them but if a DRM Sony eBook Breaker program came out tomorrow everyone would want it because it would make sure at least you have a proper copy of the book you have purchases but might be void once your reader stops being sold which means having to buy it again.

You can go down your local bookstore and pick up some books for a few quid that are still being sold on sony ebook store for 10 pound upwards its silly and they gonna lose out because its not bout piracy its about the books you want to read on your reader not being there when you want them, i would rather have a proper ebook thats formatted properly rather then some hack job i have to spend hours sorting out but if its not there someone will upload it knowing someone else will edit it.

Last edited by andyafro; 01-23-2009 at 01:52 PM.
andyafro is offline   Reply With Quote