View Single Post
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
I am confused, dear lady. When I load to KindlePreviewer some form of toc.ncx shows in all except for the original Kindle. (NOTE: I just rechecked and the ncx does show in the kindle and all levels of the ncx are displayed)
It does indeed. Sadly, it is used for navigation, by the devices, but not by humans, by and large. On the vast majority of Kindle devices, one may not even see the NCX, other than some of the Guide Items via the "Go To" menu. This is a big "gap" between what Previewer displays, versus what the devices display.

@Le_Sparte:

Yes, of course you can change it; it depends on how brave you are feeling. You can always do a shortened TOC--simply, the title and "Start Reading." The NCX will still be there, in the book, and the users will get the "% complete" and progress bar at the bottom, and the "Go To" menu functions for the Beginning, Cover and whatever else is in there. Oh, TOC. What they won't get is an idea of how many chapters you have, etc., either in the LITB (Look Inside the Book) or the free sample.

Now...you may wish to consider that a great TOC can also be a marketing tool; if you replaced boring chapter titles like "Chapter 9," with something more intriguing, say... (to mooch shamelessly from the wondrous Sharyn Crumb)..."If I'd Killed Him When I Met Him..." or something along those lines, you could be giving yourself a wonderful marketing advantage over your competitors.

Of course, if you are not creative in the specific way--writing headlines for a newspaper is a true art form--then you should likely leave it alone. E.g., if your chapter titles look like "See Jane Run," then, fuhgeddaboudit. If I were doing this, I'd use text for my Chapters, but that's me; I love crazy chapter titles. They intrigue me...which usually induces me to buy. That's my $.02, and not worth what you paid for it.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote