View Single Post
Old 09-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
The multiple eBook formats are the real problem, not multiple eReader devices per se.

That would be a non issue if the books were the same--just like there are lots of different DVD players, MP3 players, Blu Ray (now that HD-DVD died) etc.
Oh, I quite agree. I've been hoping the industry would support one standard format. I want to download electronic content once, and view it on whatever I have at hand. A standard format would make that more likely.

But it's a chicken and egg situation. To be successful, it needs to be supported by publishers, and ebooks to be part of the standard workflow. Manuscripts get copyedited, proofread, marked up and typeset, and output as PDF files that are sent to printers to make plates. It would be nice is a standard ebook format was something that was output alongside the PDF file as part of the process. There are pushes to make ePub that standard format. The problem with that is that publishers mostly use Adobe InDesign to do markup and generate files for printing, and InDesign currently produces poor ePub output.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote