View Single Post
Old 02-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #15687
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I think it would be a good read for older primary school kids. They are exposed to just as much violence in every computer game, and far more 'gore.' At least the Hunger Games makes for a bit of thought-provoking possibilities.

Stitchawl

Not every video game. We've managed to keep violence to minimum in that respect as with the tv shows they watch. Movies, however, are another matter. For us, its more about moderation, then sheltering. Sex and violence are apart of the real word, we just don't want our kids inundated with or by it.

As to The Hunger Games, its specifically the violence by kids against kids that makes me uncomfortable, because I think it will make them uncomfortable. We've talked about it and they've promised to let me know if they get to a point where its too upsetting for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm currently reading the 3rd book - Sign of the Unicorn - in the The Great Book of Amber omnibus by Roger Zelazny. With about 20 pgs left to go, I should finish it tonight. All I have to say of the book, and series so far, is that Zelazny must have been on some hard core drugs, and was tripping big time while writing the travel portions of stories! I wonder if the Shadows were inspired by the haze around him. LOL In all seriousness, I am enjoying the story overall, even if I do get a little lost in the details every now and again. I find taking a break, by reading something else, in between books does help.
And I'm done! Very interesting turn of events revealed at the end of that one. I'm quite curious as to what will come of it all.

Last edited by Nyssa; 02-17-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote