Thread: Play.google.com
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #30
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So, I get your frustration but, glass half full, that's really encouraging. Clearly the marketing folks are working with "slightly ahead of their time" scripts. Google, as I understand, has to certify every device for access to Google Play; perhaps there is a bottle neck as they are prepping for the Google IO Developers Confernce June 27.

I've been reasonably satisfied with my Kobo Vox. When I bought it (late Oct 2011) it was $200 and there was nothing in the local market close to that price as an Android tablet -- good luck finding anything under $400 at the time.

Plus, I bought it as an "all purpose e-reader" with benefits. I have been using it, almost daily, since then ... a track record I wish every tech thing I have bought could match. (It hasn't displaced my Kobo Touch which I still prefer for most of my Kobo content.) I read Kindle books on the Vox (I can't recall the last time I switched on my Kindle 3 -- otherwise a very well engineered e-ink reader); I read library books on the Vox; I do masses of Sudoku; I take the Vox on holiday and use it as a web browser which works well with Opera Mobile; and Facebook; and GMail. Oh, and I also read some Kobo content there, too.

Google Play will help -- I ought to be able to get my Scotiabank app running. But then again the Android tablet space is quickly morphing to dual CPU and, most importantly, Ice Cream sandwich (Android OS 4.0); things like Chrome only run there. I never expected the Vox to run ICE and won't be disappointed because ICE apps won't run on the Vox.

The Kobo Vox is not perfect ... but in context of when it was released and what it has actually delivered for me on an everyday basis, it's been a pretty good device. I'll definitely add Play when its available.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 06-12-2012 at 04:40 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote