View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #206
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
For me it would be the following (all for the 5" unit):

1.) viewer configuration - given that different viewers ARE used, but there seems to be some overlap, an ideal environment would have a place in the setting to pick which viewer to use, when there's overlap. Again, I know this can be worked around by file renaming, but the perfect way would be something in the settings.

2.) a much improved "file browser" - As far as I can tell, it can't be customized all that much. So long filenames get cut off. Ideally, the view would be far more customizable, allowing a change to a font to show longer filenames, or some other method of showing more data. Also ideally, if there was a way to build some kind of index of all the files on the unit, perhaps a search tool (to search filenames) could be built. And lastly, a way to jump down fast in long file lists. If you have a directory that's 40 pages long and you have to pick a file that starts with the letter "Z", you are currently S.O.L. You have to either specifically re-org your files to always prevent this, or you have to press the damn page down button a lot. Well, inside the Astak's file browser, why not simply have a way to jump down 10 "pages" in a row? Something like... if you hold BOTH page down buttons simultaneously (the lever and the page down on the left) instead of going down 1 page, you go down 10. Sure, it takes two hands, but its better than ten times as many button presses.

3.) sleep mode / inactivity timeout - I realize the unit has no built in battery to save the date/time. But it DOES have a clock that counts up. I'm curious why there's no inactivity timeout which goes to a less power using mode. Admittedly the unit doesn't USE all that much power if the pages aren't being turned, so maybe that's the reason. If the unit does however use marginally less power with the display "off" (but the unit still otherwise on) then I don't see why it shouldn't EVENTUALLY go into such a mode.

4.) I've had plenty of problems reading HTML files inside of .RAR files. If this isn't just me, this seems like an important fix.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote