View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #41
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually ActiveSync will automatically tag PDF files when they are moved to the device. It does a pretty good job but not quite as good as the smart tagging done in Adobe Framemaker or professional Acrobat versions. Once Activesync has added the tagging the file can be moved around and the tagging will not be lost.

Dale
Yes there is an option in ActiveSync that will automatically tag PDF files, but unfortunately, there is no feature in Windows Mobile Device Center (the syncing software that is used on Vista computers), so the only way to tag those files is if you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat installed on your computer (I've never used Adobe Framemaker). Unfortunately, you can't tag protected files, but like I said before in my earlier reply, all the library books I've checked out are already tagged and so they reflow just fine on my pocket pc. I recently got a UMPC, which has a 7 inch screen, and tagged PDF files work fine on that too.

There are some problems using Adobe Reader for Pocket PC to read DRM protected books:

Sometimes the online activation for the device fails. I have only been able to activate one (out of 4) pocket pcs.

You can only use Adobe Reader 7 (or Adobe Acrobat 7) on your computer if you hope to transfer DRM books to a Pocket PC. The newer Adobe Reader 8 and Adobe Acrobat 8 use Adobe's Digital Editions software (a separate application) and there is no way to move PDF files to Pocket PCs.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 04-10-2008 at 06:03 PM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote