View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #9
simonroyle
Addict
simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simonroyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Back up and operational.

I changed Domains over the weekend and the gremlins came out to play.

This bit is for tech nerds:
The reason I changed domains was wordpress.com doesn't allow javascript. I want to expand the Reviewer's List, and the Indie Authors List to be more informative. I'd like for example for people to upload their own books directly to the site and fill in their own details. Yes, less work for me in the long run.

Meanwhile over the weekend we went into DNS purgatory.

Live Chat excerpt:
Me: So what you're saying is different from the last guy. He said nothing would be affected whilst I did the transfer. I'm staring at a 404 file on my domain right now. What's the solution?
Support: I note you've just changed DNS today.
Me: Yes. That's at the top this thread, right above the part where the other guy says NOTHING WILL BE AFFECTED WHILE YOU SWITCH
Support: You have to wait 24 - 72 hours for the DNS to propagate.
Me: So my site could be down for 3 days!!!
Support: Yes, but usually only 24 hours
Me: Can I edit the site in the meantime to put up a notice or something?
Support: Not really no, once the DNS has been changed you have to wait.
Me: OK I'll wait - in the meantime could you please tell your colleague to get educated about this process - thanks.

Anyway, site back up, new authors added and we're up to 86 on the Indie Reviewers List.

I've also hired an out of work grad student (doing my bit for global financial recovery) to find a whole bunch more Indie reviewers. Planning to expand that into something like a subscription service (free).

My idea is that an author can subscribe. Select his genre/s and then his novel will be pushed to reviewers who review that genre. If they accept to review author gets a notification. Something like that. What do you guys/gals think? Will it work? Sound interesting?

Markus your book is listed.

Last edited by simonroyle; 10-25-2010 at 02:26 AM.