View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 12:55 PM   #14
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvetinari2
After all, in my usual bookshop I can return a book after 7 days with no reason at all, and I read faster than that. Don't get me wrong, I don't usually return books, but I could.
And some small number of people probably take advantage of paper books by scanning or copying or returning books. But fortunately paper booksellers don't put locks on the books they sell to make it only readable by one person, and light filters on each page to make it uncopyable, and image capture to make sure only you read it and only from one easy chair!

No, there's a huge gap for paper book pirates. Yikes! How do they ever stay in business?!!!

Imagine if the book industry were to act like the RIAA... they would post observers at every location with a copy machine. They would ask for copy machines to track copies made. They would supoena local copying stores for video records of patrons that are suspected of making illegal copies. They would sue the heck out of everyone they can find. So my question becomes whether they could actually elminate the illegal sources we are talking about (no!), or if they would actually make more money (no!).

<Sorry, I seem to get on this track everywhere I turn today. Back off my soapbox.... again!>
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote