View Single Post
Old 06-06-2013, 01:49 PM   #57
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Yeah, I know I am in the minority. It happens to everyone at some point. Although, I have to note that it's not an insignificant minority. Sci fi covers aren't *all* pulp covers any more, comic books are coming under fire in larger media for sexist depictions, and complaints about the cover are a part of the general sea of complaints about this incident.

I don't think I've suggested that all covers everywhere should conform to my specific taste, and I apologize if I came across as saying that. I was simply trying to explain why some people dislike covers like that. Random sidenote: With ebooks, I wonder how hard/expensive it would be to let people choose a different cover? Maybe a selection screen at purchase or something? Print books are another story, but since we have this digital medium I'm hoping we see more choice and innovation in publishing. Or maybe it could be a way for Pint On Demand books to make themselves more attractive to broader audiences?

If SFWA had done something besides dismissing concerns and letting Resnick's articles continue, I don't think there would have been a huge fuss. It's the dismissal of concerns that makes me upset enough to talk about it.

It's the overall attitude that bothers me as well. I realize there are going to be covers out there that offend me and don't offend others. I also understand why they are done--there are those who believe it makes the book more marketable.

The flippant attitude...and the articles...that's another problem entirely.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote