View Single Post
Old 07-10-2010, 02:53 PM   #14
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
So what does this study tell us? That all statistic is just a more or less educated guess based on a small group of people being asked which probably doesn't represent the whole population. What news!

I think it doesn't really matter and yahoo and ipad users as well as google, bing, sony, toshiba, heinz-ketchup users are to be found almost everywhere
I think Yahoo is using such info to help tailor its coverage, like any news organization would do. If readers are looking for investment info, that means Yahoo probably will want to do more of that, for instance. If they can identify affluent users, especially, they will try to turn that into advertising dollars. The more affluent your readership, the more you can sell your ads for.

As far as what this info tells us, it's pretty much in line with what other surveys have produced: Lots of iPad owners appear to be more affluent than the general population, and they tend to fall in a certain age range. Common sense indicates that iPad owners will tend to be affluent, because it's an expensive device that's not vital. A company like Yahoo cannot go around telling advertisers that, "Hey, common sense tells us .... " They want something more solid. You can argue about how solid this info is, but it's more useful to Yahoo than not.

Stats are only useful with common sense and context, I figure. I'm more likely to find stats useful if various sources are producing results along the same lines. No guarantee, of course, but I figure it's logical to piece things together, rather than to dismiss all stats wholesale.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote