View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #6
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
One of the problems is the statement "They won’t initially be priced at under $100, but they are expected to get there eventually." I don't see how they can say that if they take inflation into account, since nobody knows what inflation will be (except maybe near-term). If they're saying 'under $100 in current dollars' then I'm sure they're right. But then the $300 ereaders available now are 'under $100 in 1940 dollars'. (No, I didn't calculate that-I just grabbed a date far enough that I'm *certain* my statement is correct. It's probably correct for '1990 dollars' too, but I'd want to calculate that before making that as a firm claim.)

My point is that 'eventually' is a long time. If you're talking about prices in current dollars, then 'eventually' the price will decline to almost any point you choose. And if you're talking about prices in future dollars then you should really mention what you assume inflation will be. Or you should put a time limit on 'eventually'. (Under $100 by the end of 2011, for example. That's soon enough that most reasonable assumptions of inflation won't have very much affect.)
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote