View Single Post
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 AM   #69
ekster
Currently without a title
ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Like many mentioned, reading most of the time is something we do by ourselves, whereas "cool" is something that's done in a social setting most of the time. (There are a few exceptions where loners are cool, but that usually happens when someone has a physical skill that's way better than everyone else's.)

The other part is also the way schools force you to read and over-analyze a book to a point that it makes no sense.
"Why did the writer make the protagonist eat an apple, and not a pear or a banana?" Because the apple signifies the fall of Adam? No, not really. He used an apple because an apple was the first damn fruit that came to his mind, or he was probably just munching on an apple at that time. If he just came back from a store and got a papaya, then he'd probably write that it was a papaya!

I -hated- trying to find some meaning in something that had no meaning. It really made me hate the books I read at school. And it's funny considering I was obsessed with reading from the age of 5. One of my favourite books as a kid was three musketeers. I first read it at the age of 6 or 7 and actually understood it (I also read it in Russian at first, and the translation was definitely made for adults, the language used was a lot more complicated/advanced compared to the original)... I would spend my time reading history and philosophy books in the evenings and love them, but at the same time, I was always behind on reading school material because I couldn't stand the over-analysing.

The funniest was in college, I almost failed my history of philosophy class because I was simply unable to read the book for the class, yet when I went home, I'd read another philosophy book that was way more detailed, and actually enjoyed it because I didn't have to look for all these meanings that aren't really there... and the only reason I passed is because I read my own book and understood the general history and knew about all the philosophers.

Like someone else mentioned, if they taught sex like that, made kids watch plenty of videos and make the kids over-analyze every single frame (what is the person feeling when they touch here, or there, what is this called, why is this shaped like this, etc.), they would probably need to be forced to have sex in the future, as every time they'd try to do it, they would just remember all the names of parts, and the reactions they're having, why, how, and so on to a point that they won't be able to enjoy it.

Last edited by ekster; 10-13-2011 at 08:51 AM.
ekster is offline   Reply With Quote