View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 05:37 AM   #13
delphin
Evangelist
delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
I can see that you have never looked at the 350 and the 650 side by side.

Sony attempt to keep the actual PHYSICAL size of their fonts the same between the two units.

For example, if an upper case "I" is 2mm when using the "xs" font size on the 350, it's also 2mm on the 650, but represented on the 650 by using fewer, and larger pixels.

The result is less sharpness.
Yes, that's exactly why I said, "and set them so they are displaying the same number of characters per line."

Obviously, to "set" them to get approximately the "same number of characters per line," you would have to bump the 650 up to a larger text size by using the next larger font setting or a EPUB with a custom CSS.

BOTH the 350 and 650 have 600 horizontal pixels so if you make the number of letters on a line the same, this would eliminate the issue that has been mentioned about the individual letters being made up of more 'pixels'.

Then if you hold the 650 slightly farther away as I said, the difference in distance will make the screens and the individual pixels look the same relative size, but the slight graininess inherent in the e-ink itself would be less noticeable on the 650.

Here's an image that shows how the e-ink looks close up so you can see the graininess that I am speaking of.

Magnified image of e-ink display (from Wikipedia)

Again, the 350 and 650 have the same 600x800 resolution so they will BOTH use the same number of pixels per letter IF DISPLAYING THE SAME NUMBER OF LETTERS PER LINE, but since the 650 is actually using physically larger pixels, they should be blurred less by the graininess of the e-ink itself.

In practical terms, BOTH the 350 and 650 look quite nice when viewed at their respective optimum viewing distance, and if your visual acuity is good enough to deal with the smaller 350 at a viewing distance you are comfortable with, then the 350 does offer a much more compact and slightly less pricey alternative to the 650.

Last edited by delphin; 03-25-2011 at 05:44 AM.
delphin is offline   Reply With Quote