View Single Post
Old 02-26-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Welcome Xochipilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xochipilli2012 View Post
Salutations One and All...

The Pocket Pro was near the top of my list when I was researching what my first eBook reader would be. Ultimately the Sony PRS-600 won out, and so far I am very happy with it. However, I soon learned that I've become addicted to the power of carrying lots of books with me wherever I go, so I decided to order the Pocket Pro as a second reader. A bit over-indulgent? Perhaps. But reading can be really good for you, right? Well...that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I realize every device has its "issues" and this is no doubt true with the Pocket Pro. However, having this forum, and company-affiliated posters here (Hiya Robertb!) give me greater confidence that whatever issues I might encounter stand a better chance of being resolved with minimal stress. And unlike with Sony (unfortunately), Astak seems to be a bit more "actively invested" in addressing their customer's concerns. (No offense to Sony intended--it's just been my experience and what I've read of others.)

To wit, some PRS-600 owners, myself included, are experiencing an "issue" with text rendered in bright sunlight being faded and unreadable. (This is being discussed at length on another thread here.) If I learn that I can replace my Sony for one that doesn't suffer from this, I'll want a "backup" to use while I'm waiting for a replacement to arrive. Plus...I think it will be cool having two different readers. And I know I'll enjoy the unique capabilities of the EZ Reader just as I do my PRS-600. (Plus, I notice that several people here own more than one reader. So I won't be alone.)

Anyhow, I'll be following what's happening in this forum along with the other great forums here. I imagine you'll be hearing from me again with some questions now and again once I have my new Pocket Pro. If anyone wants to suggest any "quick start" ideas, I'm all ears. I understand I'll be needing to upgrade the firmware, amongst other things. I also have read that there may be issues using Calibre as a book manager with the Pocket Pro...or that might be "old news."

It's great to be able to have the experience of so many others in all these "e-book" areas, from devices, to formats, publication creation, etc. Very, very cool.

p.s. I ordered a blue one from www.theezreader.com - I hope that was the right choice. I see that New Egg sells them and I guess I could have purchased mine there. We'll see how it all turns out.
Dear Xochipilli:

You may well find that you fall in love with the Slate Blue Pocket PRO and your nice Sony gathers a bit of dust. The colors of the Pocket PRO were picked BY MobileRead Forum members. First choice was Slate Blue!

What normally happens when people order the Pocket PRO as a spare, they are impressed by the light weight. At 5.8 ounces... it is a pleasure to hold. Then they discover they can turn pages on the left side, bottom side, and the right side scroll wheel. Soon, they find that scroll wheel becomes very addictive as the Pocket PRO has the Epson Controller for faster page turns.

Will this happen to you? I hope so. I think you will soon fall under its spell.

You bring up a really good point: the members on here are incredible! Almost any question or problem is answered and solved before I even can get around to it. We have a group here of some of the most helpful and knowledgeable people in the world on eBook Readers. So, yes, I am here. But, I am largely superflous. The prople on here now know more about the Pocket PRO than I do! All my fun has gone. I get to welcome people and then everyone else becomes your source of expert info.

When you get the Slate Blue Beauty please remember to do the folowing:

1. Charge it 8-12 hours initially.
2. Do the latest firmware upgrade at: www.theEZreader.com/html
3. On that same website, read our FAQ sheet. It really is updated often and can be a great help.

A new website for buying eBooks (ALL PDF and EPUB) will be announced next week. I cannot say any more until it is ready... but this should be real fun. Your Sony can buy off it too!

It is GREAT to have you here and welcome to our merry band of Astak Lovers!!

Last edited by Robertb; 02-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote