Thread: MobileRead February 2013 Book Club Vote
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 03:16 PM   #126
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Lolita doesn't fit into any category we have. Unless I missed something and we have perverted books as a category.
Potential categories for Lolita:
Classical Literature, published at least 25 years ago
Classics (it's certainly been influential and survives as a work of important literature)
Free-for-all
Lottery
Suspense/Thriller (or whatever genre Silence of the Lambs belongs in)
Non-genre literary (no idea how that works)

I don't think it's won any specific awards, but it's been included on several "100 most important books" lists.

We could, hypothetically, have a "perverted books" category. Lolita, the works of V.C. Andrews, Twisted Fairy Tales, some of Heinlein's more incest-condoning novels, the Gor series...

Hm. I bet we'd have a lot of fun discussing a "perverted books" category even if we didn't want to use them for the book club. Or maybe it could be a good category. After all, the plan isn't "read every book nominated or discussed;" it's "read one book"--and I bet we could have a great discussion about what makes one of those books a "perverted" book.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote