View Single Post
Old 12-30-2007, 06:32 PM   #7
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post
You're right, looks like it's LIT and HTML.
HTML is my preference.

Quote:
That's a shame that they don't just release them on ebook format also.
I suspect they don't see a way of making enough money to justify the effort. And which ebook format? Sony Reader? Amazon Kindle? MobiPocket? Something else?

Quote:
Thanks for the input; just getting into the ebook world with my PRS-505 on its way (stupid CDW shipped it JUST so it'd miss my trip next week). Been going out and downloading all the books I can find that I'm interested in. I think have enough books to start reading now and not stop until the PRS-50000000005 comes out (that's the one that beams the story directly into your frontal lobe and you live it in first person).
I grabbed the HTML versions of all the Doc Savage and Shadow novels back when Blackmask was still operational. I have them all on my PDA, and I'm combing through my collected archives to find the original HTML files and properly name and label them.

I'm not interested in a dedicated ebook reader -- I need a device that does other things as well. So I use a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is a PalmOS based PDA with a 320x480 screen, and convert to the format used by Plucker, an offline HTML viewer for Palm OS devices. Plucker supports fonts, text attributes, hyperlinks and embedded images, and is just dandy for books I can get in HTML. Essentially, I want to download ebooks once, and read them on whatever I happen to have available, so HTML is a good format for me because I can read the books in a browser on desktop or laptop, and convert easily for the PDA.

I was annoyed when I heard the Sony Reader used LRF as the native format. Oh, great. Just what we need. Yet Another Proprietary eBook Format people who issue ebooks need to support. Lack of a single common format everyone will agree to use is one of the things standing in the way of ebook adoption.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote