View Single Post
Old 06-07-2009, 10:23 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What I got out of the videos:

~200 ppi monocrome (I have also heard 205 ppi)
~120 ppi full color

Low cost, i.e. $200 for an entire device not the screen. However, they are interested in high volumes.

Looking into a way to get the screens to those who want to retrofit their existing laptops.

Initial production run, this fall, will use existing electronics and so won't save much power. Lower power next year. The last video cut off before the actual power savings this year was made clear. Presumably, the monochrome mode will save power due to no backlight.

Touch screens don't seem to be on their radar. It is clear that a resistive touch screen would be a bad idea, but Mary Lou was non-committal about other touch screen technologies. It may be that touch is to some extent orthogonal to the screen improvements.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote