View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 08:14 PM   #86
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bike_kite View Post
I was only a little sensitive about the suggestion that England, through invasion, had forced English on all our colonies. In India English was chosen (along with Hindi) as the official language simply because it was a common currency across a nation that spoke nearly 30 languages - this was also done after we left. I don't believe there is even an official language in America now - there was a rumour that they nearly voted in German at one point but I'm not sure this is true.
Well the business of the colony was done in english so effectively english was forced upon. at the very least, those that governed the populace.

As for choosing english as an official language, regardless of its common currency amongst the populace, would it have ever been chosen had England not invaded? I would suggest not as it would not have been a common language across the country to begin with.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote