View Single Post
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Popup
Zealot
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016, paperwhite-2019
Paperwhite Publisher Font Lock

I recently bought some books from Amazon where I could not change the fonts.

It's blocked on some ugly slab-serif semi-egyptienne font, and even though the 'Aa' menu comes up, and I could select a different font, it has no effect on the actual displayed font.

I spent half an hour in chat with Amazon, and in the end they said that they'd 'send the request to the tech guys'. In the end it was child's-play to remove the DRM (Thanks Apprentice-Alf) and convert it back to mobi, without all the limitations.

Out of curiosity I had a look at the 'exploded' contents of the book and found a CSS that specifies 'Times New Roman' just about everywhere. But the font I see is definitely NOT Times New Roman. It looks like the attachment.

What is that font? And why does it propose that?
(I tried Identifont.com, but couldn't find anything that looked close enough.)

I also just bought another book, and it has exactly the same problem. Is there a faster way to communicate one's displeasure, than spending half an hour in the Amazon chat? (I'm in Switzerland, and they apparently can't phone me here. And I'd much prefer to solve it by email.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2013_02_18T16_40_05+0100.png
Views:	476
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	101491  
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote