View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #14
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I disagree with the above and think the Man Booker was undeserved.

I loved Wolf Hall. The fleshing out of sketchy historical information into fully realized narrative and the exploration of Cromwell's rich interior life was a tour de force. Bring Up the Bodies, which I snapped up as soon as it was available, was a huge disappointment in comparison.

A few general comments and one spoilered one: The historical record of the Anne Boleyn period is much more detailed, so there was less scope for creativity, and it's been visited and revisited so many times that anyone with even a mild interest in Tudor England is already thoroughly familiar with the main events and players. Well, that couldn't be helped, but Mantel also slacked in her play with Cromwell's mental and emotional life. It's not exactly the Philippa Gregory treatment, but it's not up to her own standard.

One aspect that especially irritated me:

Spoiler:
Having as a major device and denouement that Wolsey's memory was avenged by the condemnation and execution of Anne's putative paramours was cheesy and overly dramatic.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote