View Single Post
Old 03-07-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I'm torn on this issue.

On the one hand I want to read books I have a good chance of enjoying. Which means I tend to stick to well-known (to me) authors and that tends to me trad-published which tends to me DRM. I feel morally entitled (if not possibly legally) to strip DRM for my own use. I've nothing against buying from sites like Smashwords but at the moment it feels like there's a sea of mediocre-at-best books to wade through to find the good ones.

On the other hand it would be nice to send a message to Amazon et al that I don't like DRM. However the problem is that unless you send an email every time you *don't buy* it's not a message that's unambiguous. They may well look at declining sales (assuming enough people did likewise) and think the problem is piracy and make the DRM more annoying.

What we need is for a few big names to go the indie route without DRM and show that the sky didn't fall in sales-wise. That would send a less ambiguous message.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote