View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #487
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hi Pat, please note that my post was actually correct:

You are right that they are still continuing with the FRAND infringement lawsuit, but I was specific about what they had pulled in my post.

Graham
Hi Graham, yes you are right. Your post is correct. But it's what wasn't said that may have caused confusion and some to erroneously think that the patent wars were over and that Samsung had stopped its litigation in Europe.

They pulled the requests for injunctions in part because they are at the root of the EU's anti-trust action toward Samsung. But the lawsuits seeking compensation remain:

Quote:
Although Samsung's Tuesday move lifts the threat to Apple of having to stop sales of its phones and fondleslabs in the UK, Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands, the Koreans aren't giving up their European battle against Apple entirely. They're still suing Apple for compensation over selected technology licences.

"Samsung did not withdraw its lawsuits in Europe," a Samsung spokesman told the Associated Press; "the lawsuits are very much in place."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12...against_apple/
I understand the desire for the patent wars to end. They are costly (for consumers) and have the potential to restrict the choice of phones and "fondleslabs" we can buy. Yet to some extent it's important that these patent issues get sorted out so that there is freedom for competition and innovation in the future. Especially in the U.S., the patent system needs reforms.

On a side note, I find the term "fondleslab" hysterically funny

--Pat