View Single Post
Old 11-23-2008, 04:40 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
E-ink magnetic? Not mine!

E-ink screens are said to be magnetic.
If so, that would mean that any magnet could distort the image on the screen.
We know from a previous post I posted that the e-ink screen seems to be affected by sunlight.

So far I've quickly tested using a magnetic screwdriver,and a magnet from the fridge, but the screen does not seem to be affected by that.
At this moment I have no more powerful magnet than those, but if sunlight affects the e-ink, surely a weak magnet should too.

So far there's no evidence that the e-ink screen is magnetic.
I have more the sensation it is a TFT / LCD screen stripped of the RGB grid, and backlight.
The basic function of using a polarization filter and a Liquid+Crystal when adding a voltage the liquid will be like 2 opposing polarization filters, darkening the screen.

This same principle is used in solar powered calculators, and some PDA's,only now there is a white plastic background.

On the other hand, no matter how I tile the screen, the black ink does not appear to be 'floating' above the white screen, as should be with polarization filters.

Makes me wonder, why, if the e-ink screen truly is magnetic, why it is not affected by standard magnets.
I could start experimenting with more powerful speaker magnets,or Neodymium magnets soon,to see if the same applies here.

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-24-2008 at 10:08 AM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote