View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #137
Reaper1242
Reaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animalsReaper1242 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrispa View Post
Sorry to hear that nothing worked, but what you describe is exactly the behavior I saw on my misupdated kobo.

As far as I can tell the hardware restore function is handled by a software interrupt, meaning the kernel must be up and running for the reset sequence to work. The update overwrites the kernel and bootloader images, meaning that if they go wrong the kernel won't even be loaded. The flashing LEDs are propably a function of the bootloader or even an even lower function from the MX processors internal program memory.

So I will speculate that by updating the reader with the wrong firmware, either uboot or the kernel fail to load properly on boot. That means you see the flashing led's, but after that the kernel panics and the software interrupt doesn't work anymore.

Restoring the internal sd card with an image also restores the original bootloader and the kernel image. So I was able to do a factory reset after that.

The only alternative to that would propably be JTAG debuggung. I found an unused serial port when I opened my kobo (4 vias marked RX,TX,+,GND on the USB side of the PCB), but failed to locate a jtag interface. It must still be on the board somewhere and this post suggests that the individual pins are located on the "down" side of the board. But if I reach the point that I need to resort to JTAG it is really much easier to call on the waranty.

Note to Kobo Developer: You are checking the PCB Version of the board in the 10th line or so of rcS script. Would it hurt to run a version check against the Update before unpacking it to the partition!??
I probably could have fixed it if I'd bothered but with an easy replacement I couldn't justify the time and effort. I tend to be much lazier about fixing thing under warranty.

I'd probably be less likely to side load an update in the future and just wait for the official update unless I need to get rid of a major bug or something.
Reaper1242 is offline   Reply With Quote